Click here for a key to the symbols used. An explanation of acronyms may be found at the bottom of the page.
From Route 101 near Ukiah easterly to East Side Road in Talmage.
In 1963, this was defined as "Route 101 near Ukiah to the west line of the grounds of the Mendocino State Hospital."
In 1981, Chapter 292 changed the definition to "Route 101 near Ukiah easterly
to East Side Road in Talmadge
the west line of the
grounds of the Mendocino State Hospital".
In 1990, Chapter 1187 changed "Talmadge" to "Talmage"
Although this is a short route that no longer goes to a state
institution, it is still on the state books for the same reason that the
highly truncated Route 275 and Route 283 are: maintenance of a bridge; in
this instance, one over the Russian River. It's in a relatively
flood-prone area, and Mendocino County, in which the facility resides,
would rather not assume maintenance of the bridge, which provides access
from Ukiah to not only the Buddhist retreat that's on the former state
hospital grounds but also residences and farms (particularly vineyards;
this is within the northern reaches of "wine country") on the east bank of
the river. So it remains an unsigned state highway; even during the late
'60's push to sign anything under state maintenance, this particular short
highway seems to have escaped unshielded!
(Source: Scott Parker (SParker) on AARoads, 1/21/2018)
This route was part of LRN 70, defined in 1925. It was unsigned.
There are no state signs, but the route does have postmiles. The primary justification for this route being in the system was the State Hospital, which is now a Buddhist Temple.
In March 2009, the CTC approved a project to replace the
existing Russian River Bridge and construct roadway improvements. The
project is programmed in the 2008 State Highway Operation and Protection
Program. The total estimated project cost is $16,500,000, capital and
support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2009-10.
In May 2011, the CTC approved relinquishment of right of way in the city of Ukiah on Route 222 (Talmage Road), consisting of superseded highway right of way.
The Talmage Bridge that crosses over Route 222
in the County of Mendocino is named the "Ronald Ledford Memorial
Bridge". It was named in memory of Ronald Ledford, who was born in
Ukiah, California, on May 7, 1944, to Ray and Tillie Ledford. Mr. Ledford
attended grammar school locally, and graduated from Ukiah High School in
1962. Mr. Ledford followed his family’s historical agricultural
roots, spanning more than a century in the Talmage area as a farmer and
expanded his business interests by investing in rental properties
throughout the Ukiah Valley. Mr. Ledford made significant contributions to
the community throughout his lifetime by serving on boards and commissions
and in civic organizations, personally supporting many charitable causes
as a quiet financial benefactor and an outgoing motivator, and planning
many fundraisers, especially causes supporting children and individuals
with special needs. Mr. Ledford passed away suddenly on April 26, 2010.
Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution 100, Resolution Chapter 109, on
September 4, 2012.
(Image source: Legacy.Com Obituary)
Overall statistics for Route 222:
In 1947 (1st Ex Sess), Chapter 11 defined LRN 222 as “[LRN 165] near Adams Street to [LRN 205] near Elysian Park in Los Angeles”. This routing remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. The route ran from US 6 (later I-110) near Adams Street to US 66 near Elysian Park in Los Angeles. This was part of the proposed "East Bypass" routing along a route slightly E of Main Street. It was part of the 1964-1965 incarnation of Route 241. It was never constructed, and is not currently part of the state highway system.
Acronyms and Explanations:
Route 221 Route 223
© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <firstname.lastname@example.org>.