Click here for a key to the symbols used. An explanation of acronyms may be found at the bottom of the page.
No current routing.
In 1965, the portion of former Route 42 from Route 605 to Route 39 was transferred to Route 90, and the routing was redefined as (1) from Route 1 west of Inglewood to Route 605 and (2) Route 39 near La Habra to Route 91 in Santa Ana Canyon. A 1965 planning map shows this as freeway from Route 405 to Route 605, and then continuing as freeway from Route 605 to Route 91 along what is now Route 90.
In 1966, the state highway map shows the surface routing along Manchester and Firestone, but a proposed freeway routing along the future I-105 (Century Freeway) route.
In 1968, part (1) was transferred to Route 105, and part (2) was transferred to Route 90. Part (1) became the "Century Freeway", and part (2) became the "Yorba Linda Freeway". This resulted in the route's deletion.
Before this route was designated as Route 42, it was signed as Route 10. In 1961, the route was resigned as Route 42. The pre-1964 routing ran only between US 101A (now Route 1) and US 101 (now Route 5). It appears that Route 42 was originally LRN 174 (defined in 1933) between Route 1 and Route 19. LRN 176, defined in 1933 between Route 39 and Route 91, and extended to Route 19 in 1959. As part of Route 10, portions were signed as Bypass US 101.
On August 21, 1933, it was reported that Firestone Boulevard, sometimes
known as Manchester Avenue, was widened from 40 feet to 74 feet and became
part of the California state highway system. The article noted that the
road will be one of the principal traffic arteries connecting the Coast
Highway, the southerly portion of Los Angeles, and contiguous territory
with Anaheim, Orange, and Santa Ana.
(Source: This Date in Los Angeles Transportation History, August 21)
Route 42 was not assigned as part of the 1934 signage of state routes. It is unclear if any route was signed as Route 42 between 1934 and the resignage of Route 10 as Route 42 in 1961.
The CalTrans bridge log indicates that Route 105 is signed in its entirety as Route 42. What this means is that the currently signed Route 42 is really the old traversable routing of Route 105. In mid-2000, CalTrans finally relinquished all portions of Route 42, although it still has some of the old signs in some places. The CalTrans photolog still shows some portions of Route 42 as unrelinquished in 2001.
The SAFETEA-LU act, enacted in August 2005 as the reauthorization of TEA-21, provided the following expenditures on or near this route:
The route that became LRN 42 was first defined in 1913 by Chapter 398, which called for "the survey and construction of a state highway from the point known as Saratoga Gap on the line between the counties of Santa Clara and Santa Cruz, extending thence by the practicable route in a generally SW-ly direction along the ridge between the San Lorenzo and Pescadero creeks to the present boundary of the California State Redwoods Park, thence into the California State Redwoods Park in Santa Cruz County to Governor's Camp, and thence through said park to the boundary thereof at Bloom's Mill."
[LRN 5] near Los Gatos to Governor's Camp in California Redwood Park via Saratoga Gap and along the ridge between San Lorenzo and Pescadero Creeks.
This definition remained until the 1963 renumbering. The route is the present-day Route 236 between Governor's Camp near Big Basin and the Route 9/Route 269 junction, and then Route 9 to Route 17 (former LRN 5). The California Redwood State Park Road ("from Saratoga Gap, on the line between the counties of Santa Clara and Santa Cruz, to, into and within California Redwood Park...") was defined in 1913. The remainder of the route (to Route 17 near Los Gatos) was defined in 1933. The Route 9 signage dates back to 1934.
Acronyms and Explanations:
Route 41 Route 43
© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <firstname.lastname@example.org>.