This is a floating closed javascript menu.

State Shield

State Route 150

Click here for a key to the symbols used. An explanation of acronyms may be found at the bottom of the page.

Routing Routing

Rte 150From Route 101 near the Ventura-Santa Barbara county line to Route 126 near Santa Paula.

Post 1964 Signage History Post 1964 Signage History

In 1963, Route 150 was defined as "Route 101 near Rincon to Route 126 near Santa Paula."

In 1968, Chapter 282 changed the origin to "Route 101 near Rincon the Ventura-Santa Barbara county line to …"

Pre 1964 Signage History Pre 1964 Signage History

In 1934, Route 150 was signed along the route from Surf to Jct. Route 126 at Santa Paula, via Santa Barbara and Ojai. It consisted of the following segments:

  1. Present-day Route 246 between Surf and Santa Ynez. This was LRN 149, defined in 1933. Although originally part of Route 150, in 1961 it was resigned as Route 154. It was resigned as Route 246 in 1964.
  2. Present-day Route 154 between Santa Ynez (LRN 149) and Santa Barbara (US 101, LRN 2). It is unclear if the portion between LRN 149 and LRN 2 (US 101) near Zaca (near Los Olivos) was also signed as Route 150. This was LRN 80, also defined in 1931. Certain sections of old Route 150 are covered by Lake Cachuma. The old bridge crossing the Santa Ynez River is still there serving as a cow crossing. A section of Route 150 runs off of Route 154 and heads up to Bradbury Dam. There it disappears underneath the dam and heads up the middle of Cachuma Lake. Stagecoach Road is the old Route 150 from the days before the large bridge across Cold Springs Canyon. It was created as a state highway to provide relief for LRN 2 (US 101). By creating it, the state hoped that it would indefinitely postpone radical widening of the present state highway through Gaviota Canyon and along the coast, which would destroy valuable landscape and property.
  3. Present-day Route 192 between Route 154 and present-day Route 150. This is LRN 80, defined in 1933.
  4. Present-day Route 150 between Route 192 and Route 126, passing through Ojai. This was LRN 151, defined in 1933.

The route was opened in 1897. Before the construction of US 101, it was part of the main highway between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.

At some point between 1936 and 1938 a small segment of State Highway was added that aligns with present Route 154 on San Marcos Pass Road between US 101 and Route 192. It appears this segment of highway was a spur of LRN 80 (according to the 1959 definition) and can be seen appearing by comparing the Santa Barbara Area on the 1936-37 State Highway Map to the 1938 Edition. This small portion of highway is important since it appears to have ultimately been the driving force for Route 150 breaking into several highways. Beginning in 1950 construction of Bradbury Dam in Santa Barbara on the Santa Ynez River began and was completed by 1953. This required that much of Route 150 between Santa Ynez and Devaul Canyon be relocated uphill to the south of future site of Lake Cachuma. Presently this alignment is still in use as San Marcos Pass Road on Route 154.
(Source: Gribblenation, "California State Route 150 family of highways (CA 246, CA 154, CA 192 and CA 150)", visited on 11/9/2019)

In 1961,CA 154 was first signed between Surf and US 101 in Santa Barbara. This resulted in Route 150 being truncated to Route 154 just short of San Marcos Pass in Santa Barbra. This change can be observed by comparing the 1961 State Highway Map to the 1962 Edition.
(Source: Gribblenation, "California State Route 150 family of highways (CA 246, CA 154, CA 192 and CA 150)", visited on 11/9/2019)

When construction of Castias Dam on the Ventura River of Ventura County began in 1956 the original alignment of Route 150 had to be relocated. The Castias Dam project shifted the alignment of Route 150 from the east bank of Santa Ana Creek to the west bank. The alignment of CA 150 west of Santa Ana Creek is still part of the modern highway on Castias Pass Road. Castias Dam was completed by 1959 and the original alignment of Route 150 can be seen south of the Marina Cafe when Lake Castias is low.
(Source: Gribblenation, "California State Route 150 family of highways (CA 246, CA 154, CA 192 and CA 150)", visited on 11/9/2019)

Status Status

In August 2011, the CTC approved $753,000 in SHOPP funding for repairs near Santa Paula, at Reeves Road and at Rafferty Ranch Road, that will restore 8.5 acres of riparian and upland habitat as required on and off site mitigation for environmental impacts on previous emergency projects at two locations. (FCO)

Freeway Freeway

Planned as freeway in 1965; never upgraded. Not in the Freeway and Expressway system.

Naming Naming

This was once planned as part of the Santa Paula Freeway.

Scenic Route Scenic Route

[SHC 263.1] Entire route.

Other WWW Links Other WWW Links

Statistics Statistics

Overall statistics for Route 150:

Pre-1964 Legislative Route Pre-1964 Legislative Route

In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "[LRN 2] near Montecito to [LRN 2] W of Santa Barbara via the Coast" as part of the state highway system. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 150, with the routing:

"[LRN 2] near Montecito to [LRN 2] west of Santa Barbara via the coast."

This definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. It is present-day Route 225.

Acronyms and Explanations:

Back Arrow Route 149 Forward Arrow Route 151

© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <>.