This is a floating closed javascript menu.

County Route Shield

Los Angeles
County Sign Route N3

[Click here for a key to the symbols used. Some county routes were constructed with federal funds. These routes are indicated as FAP (Federal Aid Primary), FAU (Federal Aid Urban), or FAS (Federal Aid Secondary). If no funding source is shown, no federal funds were used. Note that while some segments seem to have the same attributes, they may differ in the county-local road number assigned to the segment, or in the Caltrans Map Sheet number.]

Routing Routing

Cty Rte N3 - Angeles Forest HwyAngeles Forest Highway between Sierra Highway (Route 14) and Angeles Crest Highway (Route 2) (FAS, 25.03 mi)

Note: There is no signage along this route to indicate it is County Sign Route N3, except for the occasional call-box showing N3. It is, however, well maintained with county postmiles and beautiful views.

History and Signage Information History and Signage Information

During 1915, the corridor of what would become Angeles Forest Highway was defined as a new state highway via 1915 Legislative Chapter 704. which defined the Pasadena State Highway with the following description:

"La Canada valley with the Antelope Valley...starting 2 mi NE of La Canada thence following the N and NW-ly the Arroyo Seco to a point E of Hoyt Ranch; thence NE-ly following Tujunga Cyn and Mill Creek to Tie Cyn; thence NW-ly by way of Kennedy Springs to Vincent."

Vincent appears to be where Pearblossom Highway and Route 14 come together; Tie Canyon is along Angeles Forest Highway. However, 1915 Legislative Chapter 704 only provided funding for a survey for through the San Gabriel Mountains but not actual construction.  The survey routing would be clarified by the 1919 Third State Highway Bond Act as "La Canada to Mount Wilson Road via Arroyo Seco."  The 1919 Third State Highway Bond Act provided construction funding. Internally this was number was Rte. 61, and in 1935 it became LRN 61. The new LRN 61 routing corresponded to Route 2; the previous routing north through Tujunga Canyon, Mill Creek, Tie Canyon and Kennedy Springs to Vincent was not constructed by the state. 
(Source: Gribblenation Blog (Tom Fearer), "Angeles Forest Highway (Los Angeles County Route N3)", 9/5/2023)

During the 1920s the Edison Pole Line Road was constructed north of LRN 61 to Vincent.  Edison Pole Line Road was constructed by Southern California Edison to permit their vehicles access to power line infrastructure. 
(Source: Gribblenation Blog (Tom Fearer), "Angeles Forest Highway (Los Angeles County Route N3)", 9/5/2023)

During 1928 the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors would approve the commissioning of Angeles Forest Highway.  The routing of Angeles Forest Highway would comprise much of the corridor defined by 1915 Legislative Chapter 706.  Surveys for the construction of Angeles Forest Highway by Los Angeles County were conducted during 1931.  The routing of Angeles Forest Highway would require construction of a bridge and tunnel at Mill Creek.  Edison Pole Line Road crossed Big Tujunga Creek, Fall Creek, Lucas Creek, Mill Creek and Fall Creek again via what is now Forest Road 3N27/North Fork Mill Creek Road.  Edison Pole Line Road continued north following North Fork Mill Creek near Mount Gleason to Aliso Canyon Road (modern Forest Road 3N27, Mount Gleason Road/Forest Road 3N17 and Bear Trap Canyon Road).  North of Aliso Canyon Road, the alignment of Edison Pole Line Road follows what often appears now on maps as Edison Road towards Vincent.  Angeles Forest Highway was completed on September 12, 1941, following the completion of the Armstong Memorial Bridge over Mill Creek and the Mill Creek Tunnel.  Angeles Forest Highway was dedicated on September 15, 1941.
(Source: Gribblenation Blog (Tom Fearer), "Angeles Forest Highway (Los Angeles County Route N3)", 9/5/2023)

The Angeles Forest Highway, aka the Palmdale Cut-Off, was surveyed in 1913, approved in 1928 to roughly follow the Edison pole line road, and built from 1932 to 1941.

In 1959, Legislative Chapter 1062 defined the general corridor of Angeles Forest Highway as part of planned LRN 266 and as part of the Freeway & Expressway System.  In 1964, LRN 266 was designated as Route 249.

County Sign Route N3 was formally defined in 1963.

Naming Naming

In November 2010, it was reported that the LA County Board of Supervisors dedicated a section of the Angeles Forest Highway in honor of the two Los Angeles County firefighters who lost their lives on duty battling the Station Fire ("Captain Ted Hall and Engineer Arnie Quinones Memorial Highway"). Captain Ted Hall and Engineer Arnie Quinones died on August 30th, 2009 when their truck plunged 800 feet off the side of a road near Mount Gleason. Less than a month later, Quinones' widow, Lori, gave birth to the couple's first child, a daughter. Hall and Quinones were honored with a large public memorial held at Dodger Stadium, while the Station Fire--the largest in LA County history--continued to burn. Signs have been affixed at both the northbound and southbound (one-quarter mile south of Sierra Highway) entrances to the highway.

Other WWW Links Other WWW Links

Acronyms and Explanations:

Back Arrow CR N2 Forward Arrow CR N4

© 1996-2020 Daniel P. Faigin.
Maintained by: Daniel P. Faigin <>.