Routes 145 through 152
Click here for a key to the symbols used. "LRN" refers to the Pre-1964 Legislative Route Number. "US" refers to a US Shield signed route. "I" refers to an Eisenhower Interstate signed route. "Route" usually indicates a state shield signed route, but said route may be signed as US or I. Previous Federal Aid (pre-1992) categories: Federal Aid Interstate (FAI); Federal Aid Primary (FAP); Federal Aid Urban (FAU); and Federal Aid Secondary (FAS). Current Functional Classifications (used for aid purposes): Principal Arterial (PA); Minor Arterial (MA); Collector (Col); Rural Minor Collector/Local Road (RMC/LR). Note that ISTEA repealed the previous Federal-Aid System, effective in 1992, and established the functional classification system for all public roads.
145 · 146 · 147 · 148 · 149 · 150 · 151 · 152
From Route 5 near Oilfields to Route 99 near Madera, passing near Five Points and Kerman.
(1) The commission may relinquish to the City of Madera the portion of Route 145 located between Gateway Drive and Lake Street within the city, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interest of the state.
(2) A relinquishment under this subdivision shall become effective on the first day of the next calendar or fiscal year, whichever occurs first, after the effective date of the commission's approval of the terms.
(3) The relinquished section shall cease to be a state highway on the effective date of the relinquishment.
(4) The portion of Route 145 described in this subdivision may be relinquished to the City of Madera only upon the condition that the city agrees to both of the following: (A) Maintenance of signs directing motorists to the continuation of State Highway Route 145. (B) No reduction of the number of lanes within the relinquished section.
In 1970, Chapter 1473 extended the route from I-5 to Route 180, making the
definition: "(a) Route 5 near Oilfields
Route 180 near
Kerman to Route 99 near Madera, passing near Five Points and
Kerman". It is unclear when the county-maintained roadways Route 145 used
south of Kerman were adopted into the state highway system and upgraded to
state standards. Max R. has a travelog of Route 145 here.
In 1996, the state added to the legislative definition the ability to relinquish to the City of Madera the portion of Route 145 located between Gateway Drive and Lake Street within the city, provided suitable terms are negotiated. The agreement must required the maintenance of signs directing motorists to the continuation of State Highway Route 145, and no reduction of the number of lanes within the relinquished section. (AB 2246, Chapter 540, 9/16/96)
This entire routing was LRN 126, defined in 1933, except for the portion of segment 1 added in 1970. It was not part of the original 1934 signage of state routes, but appears to have been signed sometime between 1948 and 1949, based on its first appearance on the state highway map in 1949.
Jensen Ave Roundabout (~ FRE 33.122)
In October 2011, it was reported that Caltrans has selected the intersection of Route 145 and Jensen Avenue near Kerman (~ FRE 33.122) for the first roundabout in the San Joaquin Valley. This intersection was chosen because it has had a high rate of accidents. Caltrans is also considering three sites in Tulare County and one each in Fresno, Kings and Kern counties for roundabouts (specifically, Route 168/Auberry Road in Prather, Route 216/Route 245 in Woodlake, Route 43/Route 137 in Corcoran, Route 190/Road 152 east of Tipton, Route 190/Road 284 east of Porterville, and Route 155/Browning Road in Delano). The Route 145 roundabout is anticipated to cost $1.1 million, and is scheduled to begin in mid-2013 and expected to take about a year to complete. The major concern was from growers and producers, who were worried that larger trucks hauling produce could not negotiate the circular intersections. A 2007 study of 55 roundabouts in the U.S. found a 35% reduction in accidents and a 90% reduction in fatal accidents when intersections with stop signs or signals were converted to roundabouts. It costs about the same to build a roundabout as to put up traffic signals, and they need significantly less maintenance than traffic signal intersections -- about 60% to 90% less, depending on how much landscaping work is required.
In January 2012, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project in Fresno County that will construct a single-lane roundabout at the intersection of Route 145 and Jensen Avenue in the city of Kerman to reduce traffic collisions. The project is programmed in the 2010 SHOPP. The total estimated project cost is $2,903,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2013-14. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2010 SHOPP.
The SAFETEA-LU act, enacted in August 2005 as the reauthorization of TEA-21, provided the following expenditures on or near this route:
High Priority Project #1830: Improve the Route 99/Route 145 interchange in the City of Madera, CA. $2,400,000. (~ MAD 9.012)
From Route 99 near Madera to Route 41.
This segment is unchanged from its 1963 definition.
Google Maps appears to show Route 145 continuing E from Route 41, along a lateral (Millerton Road) to Road 206, and then along O'Neill Road to Road 211, and then along another lateral (Millerton Road) to end near Duma Cove of Millerton Late. There is no record of this segment being part of Route 145.
This entire routing was LRN 126, defined in 1933, except for the portion of segment 1 added in 1970. It was not part of the original 1934 signage of state routes, but was signed by 1953.
[SHC 253.1] Entire route. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.
Overall statistics for Route 145:
In 1933, Chapter 767 added the route from "[LRN 31] near Cajon Pass to [LRN 23] near Little Lake" to the highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 145 with that definition. The route remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. It is US 395 between US 91 (present-day I-15) and the US 395/US 6 (present-day US 395/Route 14) junction. This was defined in 1933.
From Route 101 near Soledad to Pinnacles National Monument.
This segment is as defined in 1963.
In 2009, AB 344 (Chapter 238, 10/11/2009) authorized relinquishment of the portion in Soledad by adding:
(b) (1) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the commission may relinquish to the City of Soledad the portion of Route 146 within the city limits of that city, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(2) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the commission may relinquish to the County of Monterey the portion of Route 146 within the limits of that county, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(3) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the commission may relinquish to the County of San Benito the portion of Route 146 within the limits of that county, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(4) A relinquishment under this subdivision shall become effective immediately after the county recorder records the relinquishment resolution that contains the commission's approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment.
(5) On and after the effective date of the relinquishment, that portion of Route 146 relinquished shall cease to be a state highway and may not be considered for future adoption under Section 81.
(6) For portions of Route 146 relinquished under this subdivision, the City of Soledad and the Counties of Monterey and San Benito shall maintain within their jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 146 until the entire route has been relinquished.
This portion of the route in Soledad was relinquished in September 2010.
In 2012, AB 2679 (Chapter 769, 9/29/2012) updated the wording to reflect the relinquishment in Soledad:
(1) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the commission may relinquish to the City of Soledad theportion of Route 146 within the city limits of that city, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(2)Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the commission may relinquish to the County of Monterey the portion of Route 146 within the limits of that county, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(3)Notwithstanding subdivision (a), the commission may relinquish to the County of San Benito the portion of Route 146 within the limits of that county, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(4)A relinquishment under this subdivision shall become effective immediately after the county recorder records the relinquishment resolution that contains the commission’s approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment.
(5)On and after the effective date of the relinquishment, that portion of Route 146 relinquished shall cease to be a state highway and may not be considered for future adoption under Section 81.
(6)For portions of Route 146 relinquished under this subdivision, the City of Soledad andthe Counties of Monterey and San Benito shall maintain within their jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 146 until the entire route has been relinquished.
This entire route was LRN 120, defined in 1933. It was not signed before 1964.
The original western alignment of the road to West Pinnacles took Stonewall
Canyon Road to modern Route 146. That alignment was replaced sometime between
1940 and 1942 (as shown on the indicated state highway
(Ref: Max R on AARoads, 11/28/2016)
Route 146 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 146 between 1934 and 1964.
Near Soledad, this route seems to run along Business Route 101 and Broadway.
In September 2010, the CTC approved relinquishment of right of way in the city of Soledad on Route 146, from the city limits at Route 101 to the city limits at Tiburon Street. Authorized by Chapter 238, Statutes of 2009, which amended Section 446 of the Streets and Highways Code.
In December 2017, the TAMC RTIP noted the following project from the City of
Soledad: Route 146 Bypass: This City of Soledad project will
realign Route146 and construct a new two‐lane arterial around the south
edge of Soledad, connecting the South Soledad interchange with Metz Road with a
crossing of the Union Pacific Railroad tracks. This facility will serve
interregional traffic traveling to the Pinnacles National Park.
(Source: TAMC RTIP Final Package, 12/2017)
From Pinnacles National Monument to Route 25 in Bear Valley.
This segment is as defined in 1963.
In October 2018, it was noted that almost all Route 146 signage, including
junction markers and postmiles, is gone from the eastern Route 146 segment and
its junction with Route 25. All that remains is a callbox at the Route 25
junction, with a sign indicating that it was on Route 146. The old East
Entrance station has disappeared along with the End Route 146 sign; there's
only a wide spot in the road where the station was located. The National Park
Service is considering a replacement east entrance station. Its preferred
alternative would be to put the new station immediately west of the Route 25
junction. That would put it closer to the expanded park boundary, and also give
the park a chance to hit up visitors for the entrance fee before they reach the
visitor center, or any campgrounds or other park facilities.
(Source: Oscar Voss on AAroads, "Re: CA 146 East", 1/5/2019)
This entire route was LRN 120, defined in 1933. It was not signed before 1964.
A 1934 Division of Highways Map shows the eastern segment of LRN 120 (Route
146) running west from Route 25 into Pinnacles National Monument past the
current terminus about a mile to Bear Gulch. The Bear Gulch Road is pretty much
a straight to the western LRN 120 (Route 146) which makes it likely that this
is what the post number gap is based off of. That means,if the map is correct,
there was for a time a less than 2 mile gap between both segments of LRN 120
(Route 146). The state maps are too zoomed out really to provide any insight
onto when the eastern segment of Route 120 might have been pulled back to the
boundary with Pinnacles National Monument where the current Route 146 terminus
is located. Route 146 in East Pinnacles still retains the same length that it
had when it was
a National Monument; this is because when the Monument was expanded to a
Park, the boundary was expanded. That left Route 146 East maintained by
Caltrans within the new National Park Boundary. From the west on Route 146 the
highway segment is only 2.45 miles. Despite no reassurance markers westbound
there is a Route 146 END sign at the former boundary for Pinnacles National
Monument. The Eastern Segment of Route 146 has mileage markers ranging from
12.70 to 15.15. Essentially it is a straight line from the terminus of the
western segment across the Pinnacles which ends at 10.19.
(Source: Max R in AARoads discussion on 146, June 2017)
Route 146 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 146 between 1934 and 1964.
Note that the two segments of this route are not contiguous; this is made clear in the National Park Service Map for Pinnacles National Monument. They are connected by the Old Pinnacles Trail.
[SHC 263.7] Entire portion.
[SHC 164.17] Between Route 101 and Pinnacles National Monument.
Overall statistics for Route 146:
In 1933, Chapter 767 added the following routes to the highway system:
In 1935, LRN 146 was added to the highway code with the following routings:
In 1959, Chapter 1062 changed the origin of (a): "
County Line near
Palo Verde [LRN 187] east of Brawley to …"
In 1961, Chapter 1387 allowed construction to begin earlier: “Notwithstanding the provisions of Section 89 of Chapter 1062, Statutes of 1959, the department shall proceed with the construction of the unconstructed portion of said route described in subdivision (a) between the junction of [LRN 187] and the Imperial-Riverside county line with the lowest practical cost for a hard surfaced road and as an interim project pending the later construction of the route to proper limited access standards; provided that prior thereto the County of Imperial enters into a co-operative agreement with the department wherein the county agrees to maintain the road between the junction of [LRN 187] and the Imperial-Riverside County Line until a limited access highway is constructed by the department between said points. Upon the completion of construction of said interim road and pursuant to said agreement, the county shall assume jurisdiction and all responsibilities of maintenance for the period above provided. The road shall be known and designed as the "Ben Hulse Highway"”
This route was signed as follows:
This is present-day Route 78, some of which is unconstructed. Before 1964, the portion between Route 86 and Palo Verde was a proposed routing, and the remainder was part of US 95 (originally Route 195). The US 95 portion as defined in 1933; the remainder was defined in 1959.
This is US 95, defined in 1933.
This is US 95, defined in 1933.
The definition of this route is unchanged from 1963.
This was LRN 183, defined in 1961. This route was not signed before 1963.
Route 147 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 147 between 1934 and 1964.
Hamilton Branch Bridge (~ PLU 8.987)
In October 2015, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project that will replace the Hamilton Branch Bridge on Route 147 near the community of Clear Creek. The project is programmed in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. The total estimated cost is $13,492,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2016/17. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. A copy of the Negative Declaration has been provided to Commission staff. The project will result in less than significant impacts to the environment after mitigation.
In January 2016, the CTC approved SHOPP funding in Plumas County, on Route 147 near Canyon Dam, from 0.1 mile south to 0.4 mile north of Hamilton Branch Bridge No. 09-0065. Outcome/Output: Replace bridge on same alignment. $6,610,000.
In June 2018, Caltrans District 2 tweeted that "The
new Hamilton Branch Bridge on SR 147 is almost complete." and that work was
being done to improve the connecting pavement.
(Source: @CaltransD2 6/5/2018)
This route is part of the Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway All American Road.
Overall statistics for Route 147:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "[LRN 2] near Arroyo Grande to [LRN 2] near San Luis Obispo" as part of the state highway system. In 1935, LRn 147 was added to the highway code with the definition. The route remained unchanged until 1963. It ran from US 101 near Arroyo Grande to US 101 near San Luis Obispo, and is present-day Route 227.
From Route 5 near Sacramento to Route 143 south of Route 16.
This was a proposed routing, and was LRN 248, defined in 1959, between LRN 238 (I-5) and LRN 247 (proposed Route 143). It is reported that Consumes River Road is an approximate routing for this, but it is not an adopted routing. Caltrans is apparently involved, however, with a street extension along Consumes River Road (for more information, see the entry for I-5). The following is from the approval for the I-5/Consumes River Road interchange:
Construction of the I-5/Cosumnes River Boulevard interchange was originally identified in a study of the Route 148 corridor conducted by the Department in the early 1960s. On February 27, 1963, the Department adopted the Route 148 freeway corridor segment between I-5 and Route 99. In 1974, the Commission withdrew the freeway designation of Route 148 due to financial constraints.
In a memorandum dated July 1, 1974, the County of Sacramento’s Department of Public Works recommended that the City of Sacramento maintain the adopted route as an east-west transportation corridor that would be less than freeway status. The City of Sacramento then embarked on the necessary steps to begin preserving right-of-way within the Route 148 corridor.
On November 4, 1981, the Sacramento City Council certified an Environmental Impact Report for the Route 148 Arterial Plan and adopted the route alignment for the arterial. That approval allowed the City to begin reserving the right-of-way for the future development of Route 148 and to construct segments of the approved route as funds became available. After approval of the Route 148 Arterial Plan, the name of the proposed facility was changed to Cosumnes River Boulevard. The names Route 148 and Cosumnes River Boulevard are synonymous and refer to the same proposed facility within the city of Sacramento.
The freeway route adoption was rescinded in 1975. The City of Scramento planned an arterial street (Consumes River Road) within the alignment; this precluded any state construction. E of Route 99, the city included a short portion of Calvine Road. As of 2002, Caltrans was recommending deleting the route from the state highway system.
Cosumnes River Boulevard Extension
In March 2006, Sacramento released its draft environmental analysis for its planned $80 million Cosumnes River Boulevard extension. The project would extend Cosumnes River Boulevard from its current end point at Franklin Boulevard west to I-5 with a major interchange, and a short distance farther to Freeport Boulevard. Officials said construction is targeted to start in 2008, with a finish date in 2010.
According to an article in the Sacramento Bee, SACOG (Sacramento Area Council of Governments) is exploring a 30-plus-mile route that would start at I-5 in the south, head east across Route 99 in Elk Grove, and angle up the east county to US 50 in El Dorado County, skirting the edges of Rancho Cordova and Folsom. They are exploring the name "Cosumnes Parkway." The most often mentioned potential alignment would be along an extension of Kammerer Road between I-5 and Route 99, then along Grant Line Road and a straightened White Rock Road. Tuttle said the road would be four lanes, with a limited number of intersections. It probably would have an overpass at Highway 16. Chris Sampang guesses this might be a revival of Route 148.
In May 2013, it was reported that the Cosumnes
River Boulevard Extension and I-5 Interchange Project had broken ground. The
project will provide east-west connectivity between Route 99 and I-5, as well
as open up room for an 800-acre Delta Shores development. The cost is about
$82M. Sacramento officials say this project is expected to take around two
years complete and should be finished by 2015. The project will also include
more traffic lanes, on street bike lanes, and provide access to two future
regional transit light rail stations to Cosumnes River College.
(Source: CBS Sacramento, 5/2/13)
In May 2015, it was reported that the new Cosumnes
River interchange with I-5, just one mile south of Meadowview Road, opened for
traffic on May 4 2015. The Cosumnes River Boulevard Extension project from I-5
to Franklin Boulevard is scheduled to be open for traffic by fall 2015.
(Source: Project Page)
In December 2015, it was reported that the
3-plus-mile, $95 million Cosumnes River Boulevard extension opened, offering a
major, new east-west connector between Route 99 and I-5. The road, which
alternates between four and six lanes, connects from Franklin Road to Freeport
Boulevard and includes a major interchange at I-5 near the town of Freeport,
just south of the Meadowview and Pocket areas of Sacramento. The new road and
interchange also pave the way for construction of Delta Shores, a major
shopping center and residential community – the biggest Sacramento has
seen since the North Natomas area opened 15 years ago.
(Source: Sac Bee, 12/15/2015)
Capital Southeast Connector
In August 2010, Sen. Feinstein requested funding for the Capital Southeast Connector, a proposed 37-mile downtown Sacramento bypass, from I-5 in Elk Grove to US 50 in El Dorado Hills. The requested funding would support the construction of an initial phase in the City of Elk Grove at Route 99, which will be completed in 2012. The total cost of the Elk Grove segment is $36 million, towards which the City has secured $34 million. This is approximately the Route 148 routing.
In January 2016, an update was provided on the Capital SouthEast Connector. This is a 34 mile "limited access" parkway style expressway connecting I-5 S of Elk Grove and US 50 in the El Dorado Hills. Various segments are completed and the Silva Valley Interchange is under construction. Another 19 miles are in the environmental clearance phase, including the 5-mile Folsom/El Dorado segment that is about to enter final design.
Submitted for inclusion in the interstate system in 1958; not accepted.
From Route 143 south of Route 16 to Route 65.
In 2002, the Traversable Highways report noted that some studies have been conducted but further analysis is needed regarding a route adoption. There is no traversable highway and the area is built-out precluding any new alignment. Caltrans recommended removing the route from the state highway system.
Route 148 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 148 between 1934 and 1964.
[SHC 253.1] Entire route. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.
Overall statistics for Route 148:
In 1933, Chapter 767 added the route from "Guadalupe to Sisquoc via Santa Maria" to the state highway system. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 148 as follows:
"[LRN 56] near Guadalupe to Sisquoc via Santa Maria"
The definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. This is present-day Route 166 between Route 1 and Santa Maria, and was 1964-1984 Route 176 between Santa Maria and Sisquoc. The highway continued from Sisquoc (although not as part of the present state highway system) to Los Olivos. The route from Santa Maria was along Main Street to Philbric Road, then to Foxen Canyon Road, and along Foxen Canyon Road through Sisquoc into Los Olivos.
In 1984, Chapter 409 clarified the terminus to be "… to Route 99 south
Note that the original plans were for there to be an "East Valley" corridor,
consisting of Route 99 from I-5 north to Route 70, Route 70 north to Route 149,
all of Route 149, and Route 99 north through Chico probably reconnecting to I-5
(although plans north of Chico were shelved in the 1990s). This was for a
Midwest-style expressway with freeway segments through the significant towns
and interchanges at major intersecting highways. This would have included a
freeway bypass of Marysville, the site of the last in-town surface street
routing. Unfortunately only the segments at the ends of the corridor -- I-5 to
Olivehurst and Oroville to just north of Chico -- were completed as planned;
everything else was cut back to conventional 4-lane commercial standards
(although a largely at-grade bypass of Marysville via the Feather River berm
and making use of the present Yuba River Route 70 bridge is under study as of
2018) due to lack of the funding needed to acquire significant property between
Marysville and Oroville for even an expressway upgrade.
(Source: Sparker on AAroads, 3/28/2018)
This was LRN 87, defined in 1933. It was not signed before 1967.
Route 149 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 149 between 1934 and 1964.
Route 149 Freeway Upgrade
This route is not currently constructed as freeway, but studies are underway to upgrade it to freeway. Specifically, Route 149 has been upgraded in Butte County to a four-lane expressway, with interchanges at the Route 70/Route 149 (~ BUT M0.335) and the Route 99/Route 149 (~ BUT R4.822) intersections, and a reconstructed Route 70/Route 191 intersection. For more information, see http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/projects/butte/.
According to Dominic Ielati, as of July 2006 they were well underway. The worst part of the project, is the destruction of some of the original pavement of the Oroville-Chico Highway, just NE of the Route 99/Route 149 intersection. The Oroville-Chico Highway preceded the current routings of Route 99, Route 149, Route 70 and Table Mountain Blvd as the main route between Chico & Oroville. The Oroville-Chico Highway still exists in name and asphalt between Durham Dayton Highway & Midway (old US 99E). It may be integrated into Openshaw Road (the new section of frontage road on the east side of Route 149) but that section of pavement has sat isolated and disconnected from the road network for probably the last forty years. Some photos may be found at http://www.chicoer.com/indepth/hwy149.
By July 2007, some of the fly-overs for the interchanges were nearing completion. Traffic on Route 149 is currently on the newly added lanes as the construction team tears up the 1975 lanes and rebuilds them. One peculiarity is the so-called "Warren-Brown Overcrossing", a one-lane overpass that allows private road access to properties on the south side of Route149.
By November 2007, construction was progressing on the Route 70/Route 149 junction. All four lanes are built and paved for the entire length of the route. On the eastern section of Route 149, all traffic utilizes the future westbound lanes and on the western section, all traffic utilizes the eastbound lanes. The parts of signbridges are sitting near each end of the project on Route 149. They are not assembled and actual signage has not arrived yet. The junction of Route 99 and Route 149 is more complete in terms of the flyovers and new sections of roadway. Left turns are no longer permitted from Route 149 west to Route 99 south, and all Route 99 traffic is now utilizing the new sections of roadway. On SB Route 99, signs and sign bridges are up—thru lanes are marked for Route 149 & "To Route 70". Route 99 south to Yuba City is a two-lane exit including an auxilary lane. On NB Route 99, there is a flyover ramp over the old alignment, with a merge onto that old alignment to continue north. There are no signbridges up on NB Route 99 at this time.
By November 2008, the project was completed well ahead of schedule. The project moves traffic in four lanes on Route 149 between Route 70 and Route 99 with interchanges that funnel traffic onto and off the two highways seamlessly. The widening and interchanges cost $90 million There are also plans to widen Route 70 to 4 lanes from Marysville to the junction of Route 99 in Sutter County. It will also be 4 lanes in the Oroville area and north to the junction of Route 191. About 2 more miles will be widened to 4 lanes immediately south of Oroville.
In July 2010, the CTC authorized relinquishment of right of way on Route 149 on Shippee Road (~ BUT R2.211), consisting of superseded highway and collateral facilities.
The junction between Route 70 and Route 149 near the City of Oroville, in the County of Butte (~ BUT M0.335), is named the "Wick's Corner Interchange". This segment was named in memory of Moses Wick, born in Ohio in 1822. Moses Wick served in the Mexican War under the command of General Zachary Taylor, who eventually became President of the United States. In 1852, Moses Wick moved to California with his wife Maria in a wagon train pulled by his team of oxen on a journey that took six months. The land in the area of the current cloverleaf junction between Route 70 and Route 149 was deeded in 1852 to Moses Wick as a reward for his military service. On September 3, 1852, Moses Wick made a homestead of the 160 acre territory and began raising cattle as a pioneer cattle rancher. Through purchases and other land grants, he eventually owned about 800 acres adjacent to "Wick's Corner". Wick made a modest living as a butcher by selling and supplying beef to gold miners and merchants in the area. He also used his faithful team of oxen to haul freight and cargo back and forth to the mines between Oroville and Sacramento. Moses Wick died in 1888 at the age of 66 years and was survived by his second wife Roxie Ann, his son Charles, and daughter Ella Wick Crum. He cattle ranch was operated until his son Charles sold most of the ranch to Senator Thomas Rockhill in 1906 for $25,000. The cattle ranch became a tavern and an early stagecoach stop for the Central Pacific Railroad. Although Wick's historic home was demolished in 1947, this area continues to be known as "Wick's Corner". The modern Route 70 was constructed in the 1960s when the former highway was submerged beneath the rising waters of Lake Oroville. Mrs. Merle McAndrews, the great granddaughter of both Moses Wick and Senator Thomas Rockhill, still lives on the property in a portion of one of the original ranches that was built more than 70 years ago. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 39, Resolution Chapter 71, on 7/3/2007.
The portion of Route 149 in Butte County (i.e., the entire route) is named the "Lt. Leonard B. "Larry" Estes and Deputy William R. "Bill" Hunter Memorial Highway" This segment was named in honor of Butte County Sheriff's Department Lt. Leonard B. "Larry" Estes and Deputy William R. "Bill" Hunter. Lieutenant Leonard B. "Larry" Estes was born June, 10, 1940 and died in the line of duty July 26, 2001. Lt. Estes joined the Butte County Sheriff's Department in 1973, worked in patrol for 12 years, and at the Butte Interagency Narcotics Task Force for four years. He was promoted to sergeant in 1991 and transferred to investigation in 1994. A year later he was promoted to lieutenant and named chief deputy coroner. In 1998, Lt. Estes was promoted to assistant sheriff; the highest nonelected position in the department. Deputy William R. "Bill" Hunter was born November 10, 1974 and also died in the line of duty on July 26, 2001. Deputy Hunter joined the Butte County Sheriff's Department in 1998 and had been selected to join the K-9 team. These officers were tragically killed by gunfire in the line of duty on July 26, 2001, when they were ambushed by a suspect in the Inskip area of Paradise Ridge. Named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution (ACR) 63, Resolution Chapter 14, on 4/4/2008.
[SHC 253.1] Entire route. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959.
[SHC 164.17] Entire route.
Overall statistics for Route 149:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "Surf to [LRN 80] near Santa Ynez" as part of the highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 149, with the same routing. The routing remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. This was originally signed as Route 150; in 1961, it was signed as part of Route 154. It is present-day Route 246 between Surf (10 mi W of Lompoc) and Route 154 near Santa Ynez.
In 1968, Chapter 282 changed the origin to "Route 101 near
Rincon the Ventura-Santa Barbara county line to …"
In 1934, Route 150 was signed along the route from Surf to Jct. Route 126 at Santa Paula, via Santa Barbara and Ojai. It consisted of the following segments:
Present-day Route 246 between Surf and Santa Ynez. This was LRN 149, defined in 1933. Although originally part of Route 150, in 1961 it was resigned as Route 154. It was resigned as Route 246 in 1964.
Present-day Route 154 between Santa Ynez (LRN 149) and Santa Barbara (US 101, LRN 2). It is unclear if the portion between LRN 149 and LRN 2 (US 101) near Zaca (near Los Olivos) was also signed as Route 150. This was LRN 80, also defined in 1931. Certain sections of old Route 150 are covered by Lake Cachuma. The old bridge crossing the Santa Ynez River is still there serving as a cow crossing. A section of Route 150 runs off of Route 154 and heads up to Bradbury Dam. There it disappears underneath the dam and heads up the middle of Cachuma Lake. Stagecoach Road is the old Route 150 from the days before the large bridge across Cold Springs Canyon. It was created as a state highway to provide relief for LRN 2 (US 101). By creating it, the state hoped that it would indefinitely postpone radical widening of the present state highway through Gaviota Canyon and along the coast, which would destroy valuable landscape and property.
The route was opened in 1897. Before the construction of US 101, it was part of the main highway between Los Angeles and Santa Barbara.
In August 2011, the CTC approved $753,000 in SHOPP funding for repairs near Santa Paula, at Reeves Road and at Rafferty Ranch Road, that will restore 8.5 acres of riparian and upland habitat as required on and off site mitigation for environmental impacts on previous emergency projects at two locations. (FCO)
Planned as freeway in 1965; never upgraded. Not in the Freeway and Expressway system.
This was once planned as part of the Santa Paula Freeway.
[SHC 263.1] Entire route.
Overall statistics for Route 150:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "[LRN 2] near Montecito to [LRN 2] W of Santa Barbara via the Coast" as part of the state highway system. In 1935, this was added to the highway code as LRN 150, with the routing:
This definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. It is present-day Route 225.
From Shasta Dam to Route 5 near the City of Shasta Lake..
In 2010, SB 1318, Chapter 421, 9/29/10, changed the terminus of the definition to "Route 5 ."
This was LRN 209, defined in 1939; it was not signed before 1964.
Route 151 was not defined as part of the initial state signage of routes in 1934. It is unclear what (if any) route was signed as Route 151 between 1934 and 1964.
[SHC 263.1] Entire route.
Overall statistics for Route 151:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "[LRN 2] near Rincon to [LRN 79] near Santa Paula" as part of the highway system. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 151 with that definition. The definition remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering.
From Route 1 near Watsonville via Hecker Pass to Route 101 in Gilroy.
In 1963, this segment was defined as "(a) Route 1 near Watsonville to Route 101 via Hecker Pass."
There were once plans to construct a bypass of Watsonville that would have traversed a path from Freedom to College Lake.
In 2012, Chapter 769 (AB 2679, 9/29/12) authorized relinquishment in Watsonville:
(c) The commission may relinquish to the City of Watsonville the portion of Route 152, beginning at Route 1 and ending at Beverly Drive or some segment thereof, within the city limits of the City of Watsonville, upon terms and conditions the commission finds to be in the best interests of the state.
(d) A relinquishment under this section shall become effective immediately following the county recorder’s recordation of the relinquishment resolution containing the commission’s approval of the terms and conditions of the relinquishment.
(e) On and after the effective date of the relinquishment, both of the following shall occur:
(1) The portion of Route 152 relinquished under this section shall cease to be a state highway.
(2) The portion of Route 152 relinquished under this section shall be ineligible for future adoption under Section 81.
(f) The City of Watsonville shall ensure the continuity of traffic flow on the relinquished portions of Route 152, including, but not limited to, any traffic signal progression.
(g) For those portions of Route 152 that are relinquished, the City of Watsonville shall maintain within its jurisdiction signs directing motorists to the continuation of Route 152.
This entire route was LRN 32. The original portion of the route, defined in 1915, was between US 101 and Route 99. The portion between Route 1 and US 101 was defined in 1933, and the remainder was defined in 1959. In 1934, Route 152 was signed along the route from Route 1 in Watsonville to Jct. US 99 at Califa via Los Banos.
Westbound Route 152 becomes a one-way roadway on Lake Avenue in Watsonville
from Lincoln Street to Main Street. The original terminus of Route 152 was at
Route 1 at Main Street and it would have been a two-way road on Lake. Eastbound
Route 152 uses Beach Street today from Main Street to Lincoln Street. Route 1
used to run on Main Street and took a northward turn on Freedom Boulevard
towards Santa Cruz originally.
(Source: SWN Route 152, 10/4/2017)
In August 2013, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project that will construct roadway improvements in five locations on Route 152 near the city of Gilroy (SCL 0.14 to SCL 5.20). The project is programmed in the 2012 StateHighway Operation and Protection Program. The total estimated cost is $37,141,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2013-14. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2012 State Highway Operation and Protection Program.
In August 2011, the CTC approved $985,000 in SHOPP funding to reestablish highway planting to mitigate the damage done during the bridge replacement construction activity at one location near Gilroy, at Uvas Creek. (152 SCL 006.37).)
[SHC 263.7] From Route 1 to the Santa Clara county line at Hecker Pass.
Hecker Pass Highway
From Route 101 near Gilroy to Route 65 near Sharon via Pacheco Pass.
This entire route was LRN 32. The original portion of the route, defined in 1915, was between US 101 and Route 99. The portion between Route 1 and US 101 was defined in 1933, and the remainder was defined in 1959. It was signed as part of the original 1934 signage of state routes.
1963, there was an extensive relocation of Pacheco Pass. This was a side effect
of the construction of the San Luis Dam, part of the Central Valley Project.
Originally Route 152 took what is now Dinosaur Point Road from Pacheco Pass
through the San Luis Reservoir. The original routing was replaced in 1966 by
the current one in advance of the San Luis Dam being complete. The incomplete
reservoir can actually be seen on the 1966 California State Highway Map. The
San Luis Reservoir, formed by construction of the new dam, will provide the
only lake of any significant size on the west side of the San Joaquin Valley.
When the reservoir is filled, it will cover more than 13,000 acres and will
have a capacity of over 2,000,000 acre-feet of water. Construction of the new
location requireed moving 11,400,000 cubic yards of earth and rock, paving 12
miles, and constructing two 560' long bridges... within a 2 year period! In the
Salinas Valley, Casa de Fruita Parkway is the original alignment of Route 152.
Within Gilroy, Route 152 continued on 10th to Monterey Road; this was later
replaced with a US 101 co-signage.
(Sources: SWN Route 152, CHPW)
Pacheco Pass was a toll road from 1857 to 1878 before it was turned into a
public county route.
(Source: SWN Route 152, 10/4/2017)
In August 2015, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project in Santa Clara County that will widen the shoulders, install rumble strips, and improve drainage on portion of Route 152 (SCL 13.8 to SCL 14.7) near the city of Gilroy. The project is programmed in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. The total estimated cost is $7,717,000 for capital and support. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2016-17. The scope, as described for the preferred alternative, is consistent with the project scope programmed by the Commission in the 2014 State Highway Operation and Protection Program.
In July 2010, the CTC approved for future consideration of funding a project that will construct roadway improvements on Route 152 at Lover’s Lane near the city of Gilroy (near 152 SCL R18.892). These improvements will include expanding sight distances, upgrading portions of the shoulders to current standards, and providing a left turn lane at the intersection of Route 152 and Lover’s Lane. The project is fully funded in the 2010 State Highway Operation and Protection Program. Construction is estimated to begin in Fiscal Year 2010-11. Total estimated project cost is $22,770,000 for capital and support.
In January 2007, the CTC considered a project to construct an eastbound truck climbing lane with rumble strip on Route 152 from east of San Felipe Road (appx. 152 SCL R19.687) to west of Route 152/156 Junction (apx. 152 SCL 21.747).
The SAFETEA-LU act, enacted in August 2005 as the reauthorization of TEA-21, provided the following expenditures on or near this route (near 152 SCL R21.967):
In May 2013, the CTC relinquished right of way in the county of Santa Clara along Route 152 at Walnut Avenue, consisting of collateral facilities. (approx 152 SCL R22.751)
In April 2010, the CTC approved relinquishment of right of way in the county of Santa Clara along Route 152 and Casa De Fruta Parkway, consisting of superseded highway right of way and collateral facilities. (somewhere near 152 SCL R23.776)
Pacheco Pass Bypass
Based on a meeting with Governor Grey Davis and the San Joaquin Valley counties, there are now plans to fund the construction of a four-lane freeway along Route 152 between I-5 and US 101. There are also plans for a bypass around Los Baños.
In 2008, Gary Richards of the Mercury News reported that there is some movement toward replacing Route 152 with a four-lane bypass. The Valley Transportation Authority is seeking a $5 million grant from the state to begin studying a new route, with funds from the state bonds approved by voters in 2007 to improve trucking corridors. The cost of a new road could be $500 million or more, so this is a drop in the bucket but a necessary first step. Also under consideration is making this a toll road from Route 99 to US 101.
This is an extremely dangerous highway. The
accident rate along the 13-mile stretch of concrete is as much as 58% higher
than on similar two-lane highways in California. In 2005, there were 225
crashes on the road, causing 115 injuries and 9 deaths. Truckers number one of
every five vehicles on this road. Several solutions are planned; more are being
discussed. Caltrans will add truck passing lanes on Route 152 in 2007, the same
time the Valley Transportation Authority will begin work on a flyover ramp at
the Route 152/Route 156 interchange. Estimated completion date is 2008. The two
efforts will cost around $60 million. Note that it is impractical to turn Route
152 directly into a freeway: Crews would have to cut into the mountain to
convert the highway into a freeway, build costly ramps from the many side roads
that feed into Route 152, and cross numerous creeks requiring more bridges.
Also, the land surrounding the entrance to Route 152 from US 101 is now home to
a mega-shopping center.
(Condensed from SJMercury News)
Although it is difficult to build (as noted above),
in 2007 momentum for a Pacheco Pass Freeway increased. The San Benito County
Council of Governments has proposed an eight-mile, four-lane freeway that would
run parallel to and south of Route152, and would be the first new highway built
in the region since Route 85 opened in 1994. It would almost completely bypass
the two-lane, 13-mile route to Pacheco Pass (i.e., the segment between US 101
and the Route 152/Route 156 junction). Traffic would flow from US 101 to I-5
via a short jog on Route 25 before linking with either Route 156 or Route 152
in the southern part of Santa Clara County. The Valley Transportation Authority
will seek money in March for a study of the new plan. Officials from VTA and
San Benito County have not voted on the plan, but meetings over the past year
have virtually ruled out widening Route 152 or, making extensive upgrades to
other highways to the south. The project would be expensive, perhaps $500
million (which is less than it would cost to improve the existing Route 152).
The concerns of property owners along the eight-mile stretch that is now mostly
farms would have to be addressed, and there is potential impact to Soap Lake, a
drybed that handles heavy rains that would otherwise flood the Pajaro River. Of
the $4.5 billon in bonds for transportation recently approved, VTA is seeking
$108 million to widen US 101 south of Gilroy and upgrade ramps at Route 25. In
the next couple of years, another $3 billion in transportation bonds will be
dished out across the state on key trade corridors. Another $13 billion will be
available during the next decade from sales tax receipts on gas purchases. The
idea of rebuilding and widening Route 152 has always been considered a tall
task. There are about 140 access points between US 101 and Route 156, from
driveways to exits to farm fields to rural roads. Building frontage roads,
tearing into the hillside and straightening the highway would probably cost
more than $900 million. In addition, Gilroy has developed the area east of 101
at 152, making it almost impossible to start a new highway at that location.
The proposed new road would convert Route 101 to a freeway and add a third lane
in each direction from Gilroy to south of Route 25. It would also include new
ramps at the Route 25-US 101 interchange. Route 25 would be widened for a mile
or so to four lanes. A new four-lane road would veer east almost in a straight
line. One idea would be to turn north to Route 152 at a point west of San
Felipe Road. Another would continue pavement east to Route 156, just south of
Route 152-Route 156. There would be no other interchanges between Route 25 and
the eastern end the new highway. Construction on the planned US 101 changes
could begin by 2012, with work on a new road starting shortly after if funding
(Condensed from SJ Mercury News)
In late January 2010, the Gilroy Dispatch reported that two county agencies are planning a $200-plus million project to build a new connector from US 101 to Route 99. The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority and Council of San Benito County Governments formally created a memorandum of understanding 10/15/2010 regarding the project, which is expected to cost $215 million to $284 million, according to the San Benito COG. The new road - which could be a toll road or built through a public-private partnership among other options - would obviate Route 152 (it is unclear whether, at this point, it would be renumbered Route 152 or be a parallel route). So far, the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority has secured $10 million for the project, including $5 million of its own money and $5 million from the state, but future funding for the project—slated to be built within the next decade - is still uncertain. Although, Santa Clara County Supervisor Don Gage said there has been talk about realigning Route 152 for nearly 20 years, this is the first time an alignment route has been determined to connect US 101 and Route 156 in northern San Benito County. According to the article, the current two-lane portion of Route 152 near Gilroy would likely be converted into a county roadway. The goal is to have the project completed in the next 10 years, but she said that is not likely because of the size and cost of the project. After the current study is done, she said the next step is looking at alternatives for environmental work.
In February 2010, it was reported that regional transportation authorities hope to align the Route 152 realignment project with the future California High-Speed Rail system
In July 2017, Mr. Roadshow noted that the sales tax
approved by Santa Clara County voters last year will pay for new ramps at the
Route 25-US 101 interchange, which some day will be the start of a four-lane
freeway on Route 25 to that would hook north near Route 152 or Route 156. The
current two lanes of Route 152 from US 101 to Casa de Fruta would likely remain
as a frontage road. The cost of this isn’t known, but it’s not
going to be cheap. However, the gas and car fee hikes approved by Gov. Brown
and the state Legislature this year include $500 million annually for congested
corridors and truck routes.
(Source: Mercury News, 7/2/2017)
[CTC February 2002 Agenda Item 2.3c]. The following segments of the original routing may have been relinquished: PM 11.3 to PM 11.7 in the County of Merced; PM 19.6 to PM 21.3 in the City of Los Baños.
The following project was included in the final adopted 2018 SHOPP in March 2018: PPNO 3214. 10-Merced-152 11.3. Route 152 Near Los Banos, at Route 33 Interchange; also on Route 5 (PM 6.3) at Route 165 Interchange. Improve the truck turn radius. Begin Con: 6/15/2022. Total Project Cost: $4,529K.
Los Baños Bypass (MER 16.0 to MER 24.8)
With respect to the Los Baños bypass, the CTC in November 2007 considered a project for future funding. The project would construct a new bypass along a portion of Route 152 near Los Baños (MER 16.0 to MER 24.8). A route adoption has been proposed, and the project has been approved for construction. Route studies to construct a bypass on Route 152 around the City of Los Baños were initiated in 1962. As a result of these studies, a southern bypass route was adopted by the California Highway Commission on April 28, 1965. Due to funding concerns, a portion of this adopted route (from Baños Creek to San Luis Canal) was rescinded in 1981. In 1987, as congestion and safety became concern along Route 152, the bypass concept was reinitiated. In 1988, a Major Investment Study ( was prepared by the Merced County Association of Governments (MCAG) with support from the County of Merced, City of Los Baños, the Department (D10), FHWA, and other agencies. Many alternatives were considered and rejected. In 1999, initial funding was obtained and environmental studies were initiated. Finally, on June 25, 2007, the environmental document was approved and proposed northern bypass route alternative was selected. This alternative avoids wetlands, historic properties, the City’s planned industrial park, and the proposed airport relocation site. Portions of the freeway route adoption from April 28, 1965, will be rescinded as part of this proposed freeway route adoption as shown on the route location map. The proposed project is to construct a four-lane freeway bypass within an ultimate six-lane right of way for Route 152 around and through the city of Los Baños. The freeway would begin approximately at Post Mile 16.0, east of Volta Road, and end approximately at Post Mile 24.8, east of the Old Santa Fe Grade Road. Three spread diamond type interchanges are proposed. The first interchange will be located just east of Ramos Road, the second interchange will be at the intersection of Route 152 with Route 165, and the third interchange will be located just west of Old Santa Fe Grade Road. Frontage roads would be constructed as needed to provide access to landlocked parcels. Relinquishment of the existing Route 152 would occur after construction of the new bypass. Relinquishment would transfer the State’s right of way, title, and interest of a section of Route 152 to the City of Los Baños and to Merced County.
In February 2009, the CTC approved splitting the Los Baños into three segments for funding reasons. The problem is that the construction estimate for the Los Baños Bypass (including construction support) is $409 million, which was too large to program in a single STIP cycle. Rather than design the entire bypass, which cannot be constructed as a single project, the opted to design and acquire right of way for a fundable segment with independent utility (Segment 1). As such, they split the project into three segments as follows:
As of February 2009, only PPNO 5707A (Segment 1) was funded.
In February 2012, it was reported that the Los Baños bypass may be a toll road. In particular, the California Transportation Commission is considering a plan to add toll booths to the highway in order to pay for a new four lane road between Casa De Fruta and Gilroy, and also a long-awaited bypass around Los Banos. The Merced County Association of Governments says toll booths may be the only way to pay for the $420 million bypass. But first, it's being asked to contribute $7 million toward the overall environmental review process, money that was set aside specifically for the bypass.
In February 2018, Caltrans District 10 reported that they recently completed
a $3.3 million project installing a median barrier on Route 152 spaning 3.6
miles from two miles west of Los Baños from Vista Point Access Road to San Luis
Dam Service Road near Dinosaur Point.
(Source: Facebook, 2/5/2018)
Pacheco Pass Highway
The portion of Route 152 between its intersection with Route 233 and its intersection with Route 99 (MAD 10.799 to MAD 15.622) in the County of Madera is named the Bill Whitehurst Memorial Highway. It was named in memory of William “Bill” S. Whitehurst,a prominent Fresno businessman, civic leader, philanthropist, and devoted and generous member of the community, actively involved in local organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America, the Knights of Columbus, the Fresno Arts Center, and Veterans of Foreign Wars. Whitehurst was born in 1922 in Sacramento, and that same year the family moved to Los Banos to open a funeral home. Bill Whitehurst, his brother, Joel, and his sister, Betty, graduated from Los Banos High School, where he lettered in football, basketball, and baseball while maintaining straight As. Whitehurst received a football scholarship from St. Mary’s College of California in Moraga, which is administered by the De LaSalle Christian Brothers. He cherished his time at St. Mary’s College and throughout his lifetime provided scholarships to the students of St. Mary’s and San Joaquin Memorial High School, which is also administered by Christian Brothers. In 1973, Bill Whitehurst received the Christian Brothers’ prestigious award of Signum Fidei for his outstanding participation in the goals of higher education. After assuming ownership of his family’s Whitehurst Chapel at 18 years of age, Bill Whitehurst served two years overseas during World War II in the United States Army and was honorably discharged. Bill Whitehurst has demonstrated a lifetime of public service and a commitment to his community, beginning with his election to the Los Banos City Council at 21 years of age. He was selected county campaign chairman for Governor Edmund G. Brown’s bid for Governor in 1962, and as county campaign chairman for John F. Kennedy in 1960 and Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964 in their bids for the presidency. Whitehurst was appointed to the State Highway Commission in 1963 and served until 1970, where he spearheaded a drive to transform Route 152, then a dangerous two-lane highway known as “Blood Alley” due to numerous traffic accidents, into a safer four-lane highway. In 1970, Bill Whitehurst was given the Department of Veterans Affairs Citation of Merit for his ongoing generosity shown by his performing burials of disabled veterans who died at a Veterans Affairs hospital at a cost not exceeding the Veterans Administration’s allowance. In 1970, and through the year 2012, Bill Whitehurst extended that courtesy to any veteran who died under difficult financial circumstances. From 1971 to 1972, Bill Whitehurst served two terms as President of the American Cancer Society. From 1973 to 1982, Bill Whitehurst served as a member of the Saint Agnes Medical Center Board of Trustees and helped drive the movement to relocate the medical center to its current location in north Fresno. To do this, Bill Whitehurst helped secure the donation of the 30-acre property and generously donated his own money to the building fund. In 1973, Bill Whitehurst developed the Safe-D Program to help young teenagers improve their driving skills and become more aware of the obligations and responsibilities of driving a motor vehicle. Throughout his lifetime, Bill Whitehurst remained devoted to his church, and in 1989 received the prestigious Benemerenti medal from Pope John Paul II, for outstanding service to his church, his community, and to families in need. On July 20, 2000, Bill Whitehurst and his wife, Ann, conveyed to the Fresno County Office of Education the property known as Scout Island, a parcel that was key in developing the San Joaquin River Parkway and is now used as an outdoor education center. Bill Whitehurst continued his commitment to the community by serving on the St. John’s Cathedral Restoration project, helping to raise the needed moneys necessary to keep the historic cathedral, which is located in Fresno, a jewel for the entire San Joaquin Valley. Named by Senate Concurrent Resolution 36, August 15, 2013. Resolution Chapter 71.
The portion of Route 152 that runs through the City of Los Banos, from the
entrance of the Los Banos Campus of Merced College (MER 17.995) to San Luis
Street (MER 22.874) in the County of Merced, is named the "Joe Cox Memorial
Highway". It was named in memory of Joe Cox, who saw a lot in his life:
the fields of Arkansas, the roads of America on the way to California, the
waters off Japan in a submarine, the snows of Alaska, the coasts of Korea in
wartime, and the relative calm of Los Banos. Joe worked as a farmer, an
agriculture teacher, and a principal. He did more in his retirement than many
people do in a lifetime: President of the Los Banos Golden Agers, Chairman of
the Board of the Los Banos Unified School District, District Governor in
Rotary, Chair of the California Senior Legislature, and most recently National
President of the U.S. Submarine Veterans of World War II. Although he
accomplished much in California, Joe was a native of Arkansas, born in 1925 in
Booneville. As a kid he did chores on the farm where his family lived until he
was six. Then in 1932, during the Great Depression, his family decided to leave
Arkansas. His family landed in Reedley in the County of Fresno, where a cousin
of Joe’s lived in a tent. The Cox family moved into the next tent over.
They lived in tents for the following year before Joe’s dad found a place
to rent in Reedley. After graduating from Wahtoke Grammar School, Joe went to
Reedley High. But he wasn’t through moving as his family relocated to
Parlier. Joe enrolled in Parlier High School where he was active in sports,
including football, basketball, and track, and stayed until he graduated in
December of 1944. By then Joe was 18, it was World War II, and he was eligible
for the draft. He decided to enlist in the Navy. While in the Navy, Joe went to
submarine school and was assigned to a tender ship, the U.S.S. Orion, which
served as a repair station for subs. Later he was assigned to submarine U.S.S.
Batfish, patrolling off the coasts of Japan, with the particular mission of
“lifeguarding,” finding pilots whose planes had been shot down and
who had parachuted into the sea. After the war and after he was discharged, Joe
returned to Reedley, where he saw a newspaper advertisement for radio operators
to work for Pan American Airways in Fairbanks, Alaska. Joe applied, got the
job, and worked in Alaska for two years. After working and living in Alaska,
Joe returned to Reedley and joined his brother-in-law who had gone into
farming. After several years of farming in the Central Valley, from Reedley to
Madera, Joe enrolled in Reedley College, graduated with an associate of arts
degree, and then transferred to California Polytechnic State University (Cal
Poly) in San Luis Obispo. Joe, who had earlier signed up for the Naval Reserve,
was in his first quarter at Cal Poly when he was called up to active duty to
serve in the Korean War. He was assigned to the U.S.S. McDermut, a destroyer
that was positioned off the shores of Korea and shelled coastal cities. After
two years of wartime service, Joe returned to Cal Poly and completed his
degree. He continued there to complete his teaching credential, including a
semester as an intern or “cadet” at Strathmore High School near
Porterville. Later, Joe accepted an agriculture science teaching position at
Los Banos High School and later became the agriculture department chair. He
turned the agriculture department, which had not been doing well, into a highly
respected program. In the spring of 1963, Joe led the Los Banos High School
team to a first place finish in the state dairy judging contest, and then on to
Waterloo, Iowa, where the team won the national dairy judging contest.
Meanwhile, Joe continued to take summer classes to prepare for other job
opportunities in education. He earned a master’s degree in education from
Cal Poly in 1957. Later, in 1981, he earned his doctoral degree in education
from the University of Southern California. In the summer of 1963, Joe was
named assistant principal of Los Banos High School. One of Joe’s many
jobs was to direct the adult education program. When Merced College replaced
Modesto Junior College in offering college classes locally, Joe was hired by
Merced College to run the evening program. Joe helped set the stage for the
first complete campus when the Los Banos Campus of Merced College opened its
doors in 1971. In 1969, Joe was named principal of Los Banos High School. He
served as principal there until 1982, when he was transferred to the junior
high school. Joe retired in 1988, ran for the school board, was elected, and
then served on the school board for 12 years. After his retirement Joe was
active in many different organizations. In each case Joe became a leader:
President of the Los Banos Golden Agers, Chairman of the Board of the Los Banos
Unified School District, District Governor in Rotary, Chair of the California
Senior Legislature, and National President of the U.S. Submarine Veterans of
World War II. Joe believed that the motto of every retired person should be
“Stay Active. Get Involved.” In that way, Joe said, “They are
not only helping others, they are keeping themselves healthy”. Over the
years Joe stayed active, stayed healthy, and used his talents to help
organizations stay healthy too. His life was one of service to others, from the
days on a submarine in World War II right up to his passing on January 22,
2018, as a result of a car crash on Route 152. Named by Assembly Concurrent
Resolution (ACR) 224, Res. Chapter 155, 8/17/2018.
The flyover ramp at the interchange of Route 152 and Route 156 is named the “Joseph A. Zanger Memorial Flyover”. This segment was named in honor of Joseph A. Zanger, who was born on December 28, 1927, in San Jose, California. After attending college, Joseph moved to the Pacheco Pass area to help manage his family's orchard operations. In 1943, the Zanger family founded Casa de Fruta to complement its farming business. The Casa de Fruta business started with a small cherry stand built in 1943 and grew to include a large fruit stand, a restaurant, a park for recreational vehicles, a lodge, wine tasting, a gift shop, a barnyard zoo, a candy store, a service station, and a dried fruit mail order business. Joseph studied safety and economic issues related to the transportation system of central California and served as an advocate for the improvement of transportation in that area. In 1978, Joseph served on the planning committee for the I-5 project from Stockton to Santa Nella/Route 152. In 2005, Joseph also worked to establish a new route from Route 152/Route 156 to US 101. Joseph's advocacy for safety and transportation improvements has affected thousands of motorists. Named by Senate Concurrent Resolution (SCR) 85, Resolution Chapter 67, on 8/4/2010.
Bridge 39-0145 over the O'Neill Forebay in Merced County (MER R010.05) is officially designated the "Celano-Norris Memorial Bridge. It was built in 1964, and was named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution No. 92, Chapter 97, in 1994. Sergeant Frank Anthony Celano was a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army, SGT Celano served our country until January 22nd, 1971 in Binh Hoa, South Vietnam. He was 21 years old and was not married. Frank died when his helicopter crashed into the land. Frank was born on July 19th, 1949 in Los Baños, California. Second Lieutenant John Alexander III Norris was also a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Marine Corps Reserve, 2LT Norris served our country until October 4th, 1967 in Quang Nam, South Vietnam. He was 25 years old and was married. John died from small arms fire. John was born on June 20th, 1942 in Los Baños, California.
Bridge 39-0036 over the California Aqueduct in Merced County (MER 014.17), east of the intersection with Route 5, officially designated the "Sandvig-Scanlon Memorial Bridge". It was built in 1965, and was named by Assembly Concurrent Resolution No. 92, Chapter 97, in 1994. Sergeant Vernon Dale Sandvig was a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army Selective Service, SGT Sandvig served our country until March 28th, 1968 in Binh Duong, South Vietnam. He was 20 years old and was not married. Vernon died from suffocation. Vernon was born on October 17th, 1947 in Los Baños, California. Sergeant William Manuel Scanlon, was also a casualty of the Vietnam War. As a member of the Army Selective Service, SGT Scanlon served our country until August 8th, 1970 in Quang, Ngai, South Vietnam. He was 21 years old and was not married. William died from an undetermined explosion. William was born on March 11th, 1949 in Los Baños, California.
[SHC 253.7] From Route 101 to Route 65 near Sharon via Pacheco Pass. Added to the Freeway and Expressway system in 1959. There are no plans to construct this as freeway between Route 99 and (unconstructed) Route 65 near Sharon.
Between the junction with Route 156 at the Don Pacheco "Y" and the intersection with Ferguson Road. Authorized by Senate Bill 155, Chapter 169, on July 23, 1999.
Overall statistics for Route 152:
In 1933, Chapter 767 defined the route from "[LRN 2] near Carpinteria to the Carpinteria Beach State Park" to be a state highway. In 1935, this route was added to the highway code as LRN 152. The route remained unchanged until the 1963 renumbering. It ran from US 101 near Carpinteria to the Carpinteria Beach State Park. This was Route 224 between 1964 and 1996.
Return to State Highway Routes